Adoption by Step Parents and Family
There are a number of different options available for step parents and family looking to obtain parental responsibility for a child / children.
To legally start the process you must inform Vale, Valleys and Cardiff Adoption in writing of your intention to apply for an Adoption Order before applying to the Court. A child can be adopted up until the age of 18 years old. Our duty social workers are available during the weekdays and can discuss your individual circumstance with you. Please call us on 0800 023 4064.
Please include all of the following information in your letter:
* The applicant is the person wishing to adopt
- The child / children’s full name(s), address and date(s) of birth.
- The applicants full name, address and date of birth.
- The applicants current partner (the child / children’s birth parents) full name, address and date of birth.
- The children’s absent birth parent's full name, address and date of birth.
- If the child is not the biological child of either applicant we will require yourself, your partner (if applicable) and both biological birth parents full names, addresses and dates of birth and how long the child has been living with you.
- The length of your relationship with the child / children’s birth parent and how long you have been living in the same household on a full-time basis. You will need to have been in a relationship for more than 2 years and have been a part of the family for more than 6 months.
- Confirmation that the child / children are fully aware of the application and their knowledge of who their birth parents are. Although level of understanding is dependent on the ages of the child / children, there is an expectation that if they are of an age that they have some understanding that this has been discussed with them fully before a Social Worker undertakes their first visit.
- The level of contact between the children and their absent birth parent.
- Confirmation that the children’s absent birth parent has been made aware of the application and what their views are.
- The letter needs to be signed by both yourself and your current partner (the birth parent of the child).
Please address your letter to:
Vale, Valleys and Cardiff Adoption, Dock Office, Subway Road, Barry, Vale of Glamorgan, CF63 4RT
If you are unsure what you need to do before or during the process please call our duty social worker: